Labels

Search This Blog

Magazine Analysis (Research)

Here is my Magazine Research for the Component 1 Project. 

Related Links:

Here is a link to my double page spread research and development: https://carrickthring-regentsmedia.blogspot.com/2023/11/double-page-spread-research-and.html 

Reflection:
I found this to be the worst part of this project. I absolutely hated having to analyse and type everything down onto this blog post. I dreaded the time I'd have to do this task as I knew it was going to be long and laborious, which is why I left it to the last week of the school semester to do as I would rather work on other things in this project. I found analysing the magazines to be difficult as I needed to apply the correct terminologies and that was absolutely boring, but I did learn how to do that all so I guess that was valuable. I also learnt about different layouts for my own magazine that I may or may not use. I found finding the magazines to analyse the easiest part as I knew how to find them and who published them. I also found flipping through the pages very interesting as the information was relevant to me. I will most definitely be referring back to this page when drafting my magazine for inspiration.


Magazines vie for audience attention by competing for prime placement on shelves. Securing the most coveted spot at eye-level in stores or supermarkets is highly sought after, leading publishing companies to invest significantly for this advantage. Given the abundance of similar titles within a sub-genre, a magazine relies solely on its front cover to captivate and divert attention from competitors. The challenge intensifies as magazines are often stacked on shelves, leaving only portions of the upper or left third visible to potential readers. Research underscores the significance of these specific areas on a magazine cover, prompting a strategic decision to feature the most enticing content in these critical sections.





Mission 360°
The Officer of Adventist Mission - Seventh-Day Adventist Church

Mission 360° is the official mission magazine of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It features inspiring stories about missionaries, Adventist volunteers, Global Mission pioneers, tent makers, and church planters. From remote jungle villages to teeming megacities around the world, it will take you to the front lines of mission to experience the challenges and joys of reaching people with the love of Jesus Christ. (am.adventistmission.org/mission360-home, No Date)

This edition of Mission 360° is the third issue of the 11th volume. 



Genre: Christian
Subgenre: Seventh-Day Adventist Church
DemographicsPsychographics
AgeAnyValuesChristian
GenderBothInterestsMissionaries
LocationAnyLifestyleReligious
EthnicityAnySpending HabitsHumble
IncomeAny
Star Appeal-
Media Theory: Uses and Gratification (Blumler and Katz): Surveillance - a means to provide readers with knowledge and information as well as reports from around the world for SDA church members who are interested in what goes on in other branches across the globe.

Media Language
In Christian or other magazines surrounding religion, there isn't really any sort of convention with regard to the front cover image. However, they do usually use photos of happy, friendly people. This has connotations that the magazine is not a super formal and is outgoing and engaging with the reader. This magazine conforms to that stereotypical representation. This magazine is clearly directed towards members of the Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) Church as it mentions on the front cover beside the masthead, that it is produced by the Office of the Adventist Mission. The masthead, "Mission 360" is is a typeface that gives off a friendly and informal vibe as well as the use of lowercase lettering. Coverlines such as "Global Mission and the Drug Trade" support the theory that "360" in the masthead refers to the globe as well as the subheading on the masthead that states that this magazine reports on anecdotes from all across the world. 

Representations
This man of a darker tone of skin colour has been used on the front cover so as to include diversity into the magazine to further support the subheading of "around the world" and "360". He is represented as a happy young chap to invite the reader to open it. This man may also represent a different part of the world, such as an African or Caribbean nation where the vast majority of the indigenous residents are of a dark tone of skin colour. The fact that he is sitting on a motorcycle may also have implications that he is not a wealthy person, but he is a happy and humble chap who is enjoying his life as a SDA member.

Audience
This magazine would be targeted to anyone who is a member of the SDA church and is interested in going out into the mission fields themselves, or are interested to hear about progress reports from around the world. According to the Uses and Gratification Theory (Blumler and Katz), they would want to consume this media text for surveillance or personal identity. Readers may be seeking a role model or potential contacts for when they do go out into the mission fields and preach the Gospel abroad to a nation far away from where they come from.

Industry
The Mission 360 magazine is only available online and so it doesn't have a physical version that people can purchase. It is available on their website and on an online magazine publishing site known as "issuu.com". Therefore, it is available for people across the world who can read and understand the English language. This means that the publisher does not need to spend money printing, selling, and advertising the magazine, nor does it need need to waste space on pages by including annoying and irrelevant advertising that distracts the reader.


For the Strength of Youth
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

For the Strength of Youth is one of the official magazines produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) that is targeted towards a younger audience within the church. It features stories from elders in the church, youth, and some inspiring devotionals to motivate the church youth into serving Christ. It also features ways to get family and friends to come unto Christ.

This edition of For the Strength of Youth is the July 2023 issue.


Genre: Christian
Subgenre: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
DemographicsPsychographics
Age13-25ValuesChristian
GenderBothInterestsGrowing in Christ
LocationAny English Speaking NationLifestyleReligious
EthnicityAnySpending HabitsHumble
IncomeAny Income
Star AppealLDS Missionaries
Media Theory: Uses and Gratification (Blumler and Katz): Personal Identity - a means to provide readers with role models and information about being effective as a youth of the LDS church and how to serve Christ at a young age.

Media Language:
In Christian or other magazines surrounding religion, there isn't really any sort of convention with regard to the front cover image. However, they do usually use photos of happy, friendly people. This has connotations that the magazine is not a super formal and is outgoing and engaging with the reader. This magazine conforms to that stereotypical representation. This magazine is clearly directed towards members of the LDS church as it features two young women who are serving as missionaries for the LDS church, possibly abroad, judging based off their names, and the language of the name tag which varies between countries, depending on the primary language. The masthead, "For the Strength of Youth" is a typeface that gives off a friendly and informal vibe as well. The colour yellow is a very informal colour and invites readers to open it and read its contents. Coverlines such as "Share what you love" sounds very engaging to the reader and allows the reader to have a sense of involvement with the magazine. 

Representations
The two women in the picture are seen as representatives of the LDS female missionaries who are sent abroad from their home country to serve a two year mission that they are expected to serve as a member of the LDS church. They are represented as role models to aspiring teenage girls who are also interested in serving a two year mission as LDS missionaries. Their conservative clothing and happy faces show that they are humble and happy servants of Christ who want to share the Gospel with anyone the meet.

Audience
This magazine would be targeted to anyone who is a member of the LDS church and is interested in going out in finding out how to serve Christ effectively as a young person in the church. According to the Uses and Gratification Theory (Blumler and Katz), they would want to consume this media text for surveillance or personal identity. Readers may be seeking a role model or potential contacts for when they do go out into the mission fields and preach the Gospel abroad to a nation far away from where they come from or just want to know how to share the Gospel with their close friends or family.

Industry
This magazine is available in print and in PDF form. It is available in print for a small yearly subscription of about $2 USD or on the LDS website for free in the form of a PDF. Therefore, it is available for people across the world who can read and understand the English language. The magazine is also funded by the LDS Church, who are a multi billion dollar entity so they can afford a budget to not include advertisements in this magazine that may distract the reader's attention from the articles.


Mini-Analysis

Liahona
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


I do not particularly like this layout of contents as it seems very dull and boring. I want to develop mine to be a little more enticing and interesting to look at. This one doesn't really do anything for me, especially with the huge negative space on Page 3 which looks awful.


















I do very much like the combination of the colours, green, yellow, and orange on this page. I also like the incorporation of the relevant subheadings that divide the information for easier digestion for the reader. I like the pull quotes in their own separate boxes too. The geometric shape is appealing to me as well.

There is nothing I dislike about this double page spread.


The Friend
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints





















I very much like the colour scheme and artwork on this double page spread. I may use something similar to that for my magazine. I like the little question down the bottom, which engages the reader. The text is very easy to read and is appealing. However, I do not think I will use this as my magazine will be targeted to an older audience.

I dislike the vast amount of negative space at the top of page five. It could have been used to put a pull quote or some other relevant fun fact or tip, just to fill in the space.


Acts Now
Revival Fellowship 


I very much enjoy looking at this contents page as it is very well laid out, with the big image and text on the left being relevant to the table of contents. I also like the little box down the bottom on the second half of the page. I may use this sort of layout on my magazine.


I very much like the layout of this double page spread and it has to be one of the best I've seen yet. I like the relevant Bible quote under the picture of the soldiers, the text looks appealing to the eye, and seems like an enjoyable read. I will take a lot of my inspiration from this example.

I dislike the little advert down the bottom as I feel it is a bit unnecessary and takes attention away from the reader. I will not use this on my magazine.


The Trumpet
Potter's House Prescott



I like the stories in this double page spread under the heading of Worldwide Ministry. I may want to use something similar.

I dislike the layout, colour scheme, and overall look of this double page spread and how it just sort of connects onto the previous story. It is very unappealing and I will definitely not be using this on my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment