Here are the new magazine terminology that I learnt from my teacher.
Reflection:
I found these new words to be very interesting. I never knew that magazines had all these different features or that there were special words for them. I found it hard to identify the features of a magazine without having the definitions handy in the beginning. However, I have finally started getting the hang of them and started remembering what meant what after I had started to play around and do more research into magazines. Despite that, I still need to refer back to the list to double check just in case I am wrong.

| Masthead | The top section of a newspaper which gives the paper’s title, price and date |
| Strapline | Memorable phrase that is associated with the magazine. |
| Cover line | Titles of stories featured in the magazine |
| Main cover line | The most important article featured, grabs the audience’s attention (featured article) |
| Main image | The dominant image on the cover |
| Barcode | Used for retailers |
| Skyline | A list of keywords featured at the top of the cover |
| Thirds | The upper and left third are the most important. why? |
| Prop | An image of an item |
| Puff / Boxout | A smaller image/text to stand out from the rest of the information (puff=circle. boxout=square) |
| Buzzwords | Exclusive, free, new, special edition |
| Banner | A block of colour with info inside, usually stretches the width of the cover |
| Headline | The title of the article |
| Subheading | Additional info found beneath the headline (Crosshead) |
| Byline | The author of the article |
| Pull quote | A quote taken from the article, with the font/size colour changed. |
| Drop Cap | The first letter of the article enlarged. |
| White space | Empty space in the spread, used to break up the content (negative space) |
| Border | Empty space around the edges |
| Column | Standard layout of magazines |
| Spread | Pages of a magazine that should be viewed together (usually two) |
| Caption | Information about an image. |
| Mode of address | The way the magazine/article addresses the audience. Formal, casual, direct (for images too) |
No comments:
Post a Comment